Joint pain can be persistent and unpleasant.
It can prevent you from doing things you love, like dancing, walking, typing, and even relaxing and sleeping! Some joint pain acts up when you are just trying to rest.
I have great news! There are some amazing butters and essential oils you can use to relieve joint pain naturally. The natural butter at the top of my list for this is kombo butter.
Kombo butter comes from Africa, and has a deep, reddish-brown color with an oily, grainy texture. (The graininess melts against your skin when the kombo butter is rubbed in.) The reason it tops my list is because it’s great at reducing inflammation. It’s so effective that some people use their kombo butter blends every day, as their “go-to” products to relieve joint pain naturally.
Some have even told me that they don’t like to leave their house without their kombo blend!
Here’s a blend you can make to see how kombo butter works for you. (Blending kombo into other carriers, like beeswax and shea butter, makes it easier to use and less likely to leave marks on light-colored clothing.) I’m also including inflammation-calming essential oils in this blend.
The Essential Kombo Joint Relief Butter
- ½ oz (14 g) beeswax (Cera alba)
- 1 oz (28 g) kombo butter (Pycnanthus angolensis)
- 1 oz (28 g) shea butter (Butyrospermum parkii)
- 1.5 oz (45 ml) jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)
- 14 drops Juniper essential oil (Juniperus communis)
- 14 drops Gingergrass essential oil (Cymbopogon martinii var. sofia)
- 27 drops Black Spruce essential oil (Picea mariana)
- 17 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil (Chamaemelum nobile)
You’ll need a jar that holds 4 oz (120 ml) for this blend.
- Use the Stovetop Melting Method for this blend. Place a Pyrex measuring cup that holds at least 4 oz (120 ml) in a soup pot that is ¼ full of gently boiling water.
- Melt the beeswax in the Pyrex.
- Add the jojoba and remelt.
- Add the kombo butter and remelt, stirring gently with a glass stirring rod or the handle of a stainless steel spoon.
- Add the shea butter and remelt, stirring gently. Remove the blend from heat as soon as the shea butter is melted.
- Add the essential oils and stir.
- Pour the melted butter into your 4 oz (120 ml) glass jar.
- Let your Essential Kombo Joint Relief Butter cool, then massage it into painful joints. Then dance a jig, snap your fingers, or ride your bike—whatever you refrained from doing because joint pain held you back!
Making products like this, that affect so many people’s lives in such a positive way, is truly an amazing part of being an Aromatherapist. It inspires me to feel more connected with both nature, and with other people who can benefit from nature’s support. Aromatherapy really can change lives!
I have a variation on this blend made with avocado oil called “Avo-Kombo Feel Better Butter." You can check that recipe out and see which one looks more appealing for you!