The next time you have a cold or the flu, Juniper essential oil wants you to give it a call.
It will bring over some Aromatherapy blends to help clear your congestion, and it’ll draw you a nice warm bath.
And I hope you like massages, because Juniper plans to give you a soothing muscle massage after your bath (just in case you weren’t already relaxed enough!) It will focus on those areas that feel sore and achy when you’re sick. (Juniper’s not sure why body aches sometimes appear when we have the flu or a cold . . . but it’s sure it can ease the pain!)
In addition to soothing body aches and supporting respiratory health, Juniper is actually one of my favorite oils for relieving joint pain.
In my book, The Heart of Aromatherapy, I even imagined that Juniper would be great at giving therapeutic massages, especially to all of its “family members” in the tree world (they have sore joints from working in the handcrafted furniture industry . . . haha!):
“Juniper’s grandparents and great-grandparents especially love receiving massages. They call Juniper ‘Junior’ and say it is wise beyond its years. Grandpa Hemlock even got out of his rocking chair and did a dance after one of ‘Junior’s’ massages!”
I have a recipe that might make you want to hop up and dance a bit, too. It’s a massage butter that calms body aches while also reducing congestion. If you hurt all over and want to feel better, this is the recipe for you (it comes right from my book).
"My Body Feels Better All Over" Butter
- 1 oz (28 g) beeswax (Cera alba)
- 2 oz (60 ml) jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis)
- 2 oz (56 g) cocoa butter (Theobroma cacao)
- 2 oz (56 g) coconut oil (Cocos nucifera)
- 32 drops Piñon Pine essential oil (Pinus edulis)
- 27 drops Black Spruce essential oil (Picea mariana)
- 32 drops Juniper essential oil (Juniperus communis)
- 17 drops Hemlock essential oil (Tsuga canadensis)
This recipe makes 7 oz (196 g) of body butter, so you’ll need four 2 oz (60 ml) glass jars to hold it.
- Set up the “Stovetop Melting Method” by placing a Pyrex measuring cup in a soup pot that’s ¼ full of gently boiling water.
- Put the beeswax in the Pyrex and melt.
- Add the cocoa butter and melt.
- Add the coconut oil and jojoba and melt, stirring gently with a glass stirring rod or the handle of a stainless steel spoon.
- Remove the blend from heat and add the essential oils, stirring gently.
- Pour the blend into your glass jars. It will continue to firm up over the next 24 hours.
You know when to use this body butter—when your body aches all over and you want to feel better!
And here’s a little tip I want to share . . . you can measure out your essential oils while the butter is melting on the stove. All you need is a little glass bowl to blend the oils in, then they will be ready to pour into the butter when you take it off the stove.
You can also just focus on specific areas where your body aches, like joints or strained muscles. The “tree” oils in it are all excellent at calming inflammation and pain, and the carrier oils and butters in the base are so nourishing for skin.
Feel better soon!