I find it fascinating to smell and blend with different essential oils that were cultivated in the same country. Despite a wide variety of chemical components, plant families and plant parts—plants that grow in the same region have a distinct synergy with one another.
Essential oil synergy often, but not always, shows up with different plants from the same region.
For example, oils from Nepal have very unique aromas that stand apart from all other oils I know.
- Xanthoxylum -- Zanthoxylum armatum
Floral, fresh, fruity and quite exotic!
- Rhododendron -- Rhododendron anthopogon
Balsamic, exotic, sensual and herbaceous.
The oils from India tend to have softer aromas when compared to the same oil cultivated in another country.
- Lavender -- Lavandula angustifolia
Sweet, floral, soft.
- Cedarwood (Indian) -- Cedrus deodara
Earthy, warm, radiant, woody.
The oils from Madagascar have medicinal aromas, which explains why so many Madagascar oils are used for healing.
- Saro -- Cinnamosma fragrans
Camphoraceous, fresh, warm.
- Helichrysum bracteiferum -- Helichrysum bracteiferum
Camphoraceous, fresh, herbaceous.
To take advantage of this special synergy, I create blends using oils that were grown and distilled in the same country.
Nepalese Ease Anxiety Inhaler
- 10 drops Spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi)
- 5 drops Xanthoxylum (Zanthoxylum armatum)
- 2 drops Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus)
Add to a blank inhaler and use often.
Warm and Exotic Indian Perfume
- 10 drops Sandalwood (Santalum album)
- 5 drops Jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorum)
- 3 drops Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 1 drop Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)
Blend into 2 oz (56 gm) of jojoba oil or unscented lotion. I recommend blending into a fresh 2 oz of lotion every few weeks.
Madagascar Stock Blend to Ease Tightness Congestion
- 20 drops Saro (Cinnamosma fragrans)
- 15 drops Ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora ct. 1,8 cineole)
- 10 drops Helichrysum Bracteiferum (Helichrysum bracteiferum)
- 5 drops Niaouli ct. 1,8 cineole (Melaleuca quinquenervia ct. 1,8 cineole)
Add the drops to a small bottle with an orifice reducer to create your stock blend. To do an essential oil steam for chest tightness and congestion, use one drop total of the blend in a bowl of steamy hot water. Close your eyes, cover your head with a towel and breathe for a few minutes.